Sunday 23 November 2008

It's been emotional

So here I am, watching the hours and minutes tick away before I leave for home.

I can’t quite describe the emotions and feelings I’ve experienced over the last two-and-a-half weeks.

I think it will take at least as long again to digest.

Say what you like about the armed forces and what they are doing here in Afghanistan, I’ve formed my own opinion.

Witnessing them in action actually fighting insurgents, greeting Afghan nationals on the ground in their villages, and seeing the planning which goes into each and every action, I feel proud of their achievements to date.

Ultimately our guys are trying to make a difference. They’re trying to instil some security and stability in a country which has experienced more than its fair share of turmoil over the decades.

The locals are grateful for the effort, truly grateful.

When I spoke to them through an interpreter I actually made a point of saying “tell me in your own words with no pressure to tow the line”.

The response was unanimous. They are happy we are here. They are happy we are at the very least, trying to make a difference.

While some nationalities may take a different approach to the situation, the British are kind, courteous and sensitive. At least that is what I have found.

If they enter a compound they ask to do so. They don’t demand.

And when they leave they take all their rubbish with them, or indeed burn it.

If they see a child looking worried or concerned, they offer chocolate or something to make them smile.

It’s reassuring to see.

Whatever the global reasons for being here, our guys are doing us proud.

And that leads me on to my Oscar-style list of thank yous.

So many people have bent over backwards to look after me here and make me feel welcome.

Lieutenant Colonel Charlie Stickland, the Commanding Officer of Bickleigh-based 42 Commando, has my utmost respect for the way he leads his men.

He must have taken a gamble facilitating me here – and on operations – but he was helpful and understanding with everything I wanted to achieve.

Lieutenant Alex Burlingham, 42 Cdo’s press officer, has also run around like a blue ass fly on my behalf. I would not have been able to produce the copy here had it not been for his assistance and help.

The press office team here in general in Kandahar have also helped the trip to run smoothly.

And all the lads at 42 also deserve a mention of thanks for their support, banter and friendship.

I only hope I can come back at a later date and see each and every one safe and well.

Take care of yourselves lads, and keep your heads down.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tristan, reading your blog is like opening a window on the daily lives of our troops.

Being a sister of a 42 Command Marine we only get to hear the real picture, of his work, by eves dropping on snippets of conversation he has with his friends or reading blogs likes yours.

Marines, believe it or not, can be a quiet bunch when mothers, sisters and girlfriends ask questions– it’s sort of a silent pride and confidence. Or protection for our wondering minds when we can’t contact them.

Having said this I understand their silence can be due to operation security; although this bypasses my mother, bless her, from time to time.

My dad and I roll our eyes when she speaks on the phone to my brother – “you can tell me what you’re doing darling, I won’t tell anyone, – I’m your mother” Credit to our marine though, he stays strong after minutes of integration by his mum. (alas, a skill I have yet to learn).

Anyway, thanks for your excellent reporting Tristan and putting yourself in more danger then was strictly required. Your blog is honest, transparent and comforting to us at home. Or as the Marines may say – it’s Gucci!

Big hug to our boys,
From a 42 Cdo Marine's Sister X